2014-12-14 one of Sweden’s far-left newspapers, Aftonbladet, published an article with the headline “SVT-profile witness to racist attack”. In it Dusan Umicevic, reporter for S(S)VT says he had a very uncomfortable saturday night after he witnessed 3 men verbally assault a woman in a hijab.
“I don’t know if they saw her as the weakest person in the compartment, but they sat next to her and asked if she could speak Swedish. She sat quietly, but they continued to say that she should move out of the country if she couldn’t speak the language”
“They were three fully grown men in their 40:s so the odds weren’t exactly on my side. And to meet aggression with aggression doesn’t usually lead to anything good.”
“She met my gaze, I think she was trying to find safety so I winked at her as a sign to keep cool”
When she decided to get off the verbal assaults got worse
“They screamed “Heil Hitler” and “Heja SD!” (Go Sweden Democrats!) after her”
On Twitter he later added:
“Yes, right they also shouted: Are we the only Swedes on this jungle train!”
What seems out of place?
1. SD are one of the only pro-Israel parties in Sweden and one of their most outspoken representatives, Kent Ekeroth, is Jewish whilst many others such as, Nima Gholam Ali Pour, are immigrants. 20 years ago when the Sweden Democrats were affiliated with the white-power movement the story might have been plausible but today it seems out-of-place. The fact that the three neo-nazis where intoxicated might give a shred of credence to the story.
2. I have lived in Stockholm for more than a decade and after double checking there is only one possible train he could have taken, the blue line heading towards Akalla. Although I wouldn’t use such harsh language I can attest to the demographics that are alluded to in the following quotes from the Swedish online-forum: flashback.
“If you’ve travelled on the blue kebab-line towards Akalla on a weekend night one knows that the passengers consist of 90% immigrants most from Järva and Hallonbergen. There are loads of young gangs willing to fight on their way home and that three drunk 40 year olds would have harassed a woman in hijab in a cabin filled with mainly muslims doesn’t make any sense”
Policewoman seemed skeptical
3. I contacted the police and the first middle-aged policewoman I got ahold of informed me that unless I was an eyewitness I couldn’t retroactively report a crime. I asked if there was any way I could legally force the subway operator to give me footage from the subway at that time. Soon enough she tired of my bothersome questions and delegated me to a colleague responsible for the Akalla region.
Eventually I was connected to a more chipper middle-aged policewoman who informed me that CCTV footage from the subway gets deleted every 24 hours and that it was unlikely that I’d be able to get ahold of it. After double-checking the times mentioned in the article she informed me that she had received no reports of a crime occurring. Seeing as we had a nice little conversation going she entrusted me with the fact that she takes the blue-line to Akalla on a daily basis, at all hours. She said that in all her years she had never seen anything like it and that it sounded improbable.
4. He claims he was taking the blue line to Akalla on his way home but according to the national persons registry he lives at an address in Södermalm. If he was to take the train in question he would need to get on at Kungsträdgården and off at Central Station, 60 seconds later. The time lapse is very short.
Stranger things have happened and Sweden Democrat representatives have been in the spotlight for scandalous behaviour previously and if this case were to be true I feel nothing but disgust for the perpetrators….
…but what are the odds that a reporter with a not-so Swedish name, working for the notoriously biased S(S)VT witnesses three smashed 40-year-old Swedes harassing an elderly woman wearing a hijab whilst screaming “Go Sweden Democrats” and “Heil Hitler” in a subway cabin most likely dominated by immigrants, on a saturday night, less than 4 months prior to a re-election?
The bystander effect might explain why nobody reacted but why didn’t anyone film and why did he decide to tell a left-wing newspaper Aftonbladet the day after instead of calling the police at the time?
- Dusan didn’t intervene to help the woman nor call the police but he is in the Swedish Facebook group
- “Mer civilkurage i samhället” – “More moral courage in society”.
- A Swedish politician questioned his lack of action on Twitter to which Dusan replied:
- “We’ll I’m not Bruce Lee, like you!”
- He seems to hold disdain for at least one of the SD representative, judging from these tweets:
“because it says Björn on my shoes, I’m throwing them away.” <– random
There have previously been other implausible and unconfirmed stories in Aftonbladet such as:
- A 16-year-old politically involved Social Democratic girl claims she was assaulted by 3 skinheads, in the middle of Malmö (the most crime-ridden city in Sweden dominated by immigrants) in broad daylight.
A wise (wo)man once said:
People think that a liar gains a victory over his victim. What I’ve learned is that a lie is an act of self-abdication, because one surrenders one’s reality to the person to whom one lies, making that person one’s master, condemning oneself from then on to faking the sort of reality that person’s view requires to be faked… The man who lies to the world, is the world’s slave from then on… There are no white lies, there is only the blackest of destruction, and a white lie is the blackest of all.
– Ayn Rand (1905-1982)