On the 23rd of September I became intrigued when reading an article in Swedens 3rd biggest newspapers. In the article a Norwegian working with statistics was shocked that the Swedish statistics institute (SCB), were doing a poor job. I decided to do some digging and bear with me because things are going to get real interesting, real fast. It boils down to the fact that the SCB are not using the same methods as the UK, the USA, Australia, and Canada among many others.
What the forementioned countries do is measure their populations using ethnicity and/or race as variables. This sounds both discriminating, politically incorrect, and racist in Sweden but there is a good reason for using those variables which I will get to. I don’t think that Australians or Americans would consider themselves “racists” for measuring that way. An African-American is not “less worthy” than a Caucasian just because they are overrepresented in certain types of crime and vice-versa.
I do however believe that the countries mentioned would never use Swedish methods because the data becomes vague and isn’t useful when combating crime, improving education, decreasing unemployment etc.
Is the Central Bureau for Statistics (SCB) intellectually dishonest?
- 14% of the population was born abroad:
- 4% of the population had two parents born abroad:
- 7% of the population: had one parent born abroad:
25% = 2 314 075 people
4 years later in 2013 15.7% of Swedes are categorised as having “foreign background”. This is despite the fact that Sweden, for the last couple of years, has had the highest number of asylum seekers per capita in the EU.
- A) Being born abroad
- B) Two Foreign-born parents
This gives rise to the following situations:
- Swedish father + Congolese mother + born in Swe = Swedish
- Swedish father + Swedish mother + born in USA = Foreign background
- Iraqi father; 2nd gen. + Iraqi mother; 2nd gen. + born in Swe = Swedish
Or to take a more vivid and very extreme example
Abdul and Amina are refugees, get Swedish citizenship in 1972 and have a baby named Ayman in 1973. He has foreign background..
Achmed and Fatima are also refugees, get Swedish citizenship in 1970 and have a baby named Flora in 1972. She has foreign background.
Flora and Ayman grow up in one of Swedens 55 “no-go zones” and have a baby named Abdon in 1992. He is now Swedish. Abdon becomes deeply devoted to radical Islam and decides to join ISIS this year. (up to 300 other Swedes already have)
Lies, damn lies and statistics
By lumping people together it becomes easier to claim that the differences between “immigrants” and Swedes are less extreme when comparing birth rates, income, crime etc. They are essentially jumbling the data and defining the different groups as broadly as possible to present immigrants in a more favourable light.
- Abdon, the radical Islamist, is Swedish in the statistics.
- An “ethnic”* Swede going to Harvard can be non-Swedish in the statistics.
The SCB used ethnicity based methods until 1996. I strongly believe it was discontinued due to the fact that the truth was uncomfortable for politicians who control SCB. Immigrants and their children were clearly overrepresented in violent crime. That makes it hard to argue for immigration and easy to lose elections. My case becomes stronger when you take into account that the nationalist Sweden Democrats are the only party that want to reduce immigration. Simultaneously, Swedish journalists, to an overwhelming degree, vote for an extremist party that wants to open our borders completely. Which calls into question journalistic integrity and how democratic Sweden really is.
Worth noting is that Sweden was, just a couple of decades ago, one of the most homogenous countries on earth. Now 15,9% of the population is of foreign origin according to the SCB. Which makes me wonder how many Swedes are of “foreign origin” if you were to use ethnicity-based statistics or more narrow variables.
Furthermore, Sweden is expecting 95 000 individuals from the Middle East and North Africa in 2015. These asylum-seekers are (obviously) drawn here because we are the most generous welfare-state in the world. I am not in any way blaming them. It’s simply obvious that if you offer an Iraqi mother with 3 kids 3000 dollars a month you will receive more asylum seekers and immigrants than other countries. Meanwhile Sweden has a severe housing shortage which leads to a situation whereas the natives are perceived as living in luxury which increases tension from the start. Not to mention the fact that we have amongst the highest household debts, arguably a housing bubble, in combination with the current deflation.
Why are SCB’s statistics problematic?
1. Swedes were never asked in a referendum to increase immigration to the current levels. They are, arguably, given fudged data and have biased journalists so It may not have mattered even if they were given the option to choose.
2. The Swedish government has no idea how much it costs due to SCB’s statistics. Despite the fact that we take in more desperate asylum-seekers and welfare-seeking immigrants than any other country on earth. Which means that future Swedish taxpayers will pay for this madness.
3. Why should the hypothetical Abdon be happy that his grandparents were given asylum in Sweden? He has felt maltreated and poor compared to ethnic Swedes since he was born. This increases hatred between the ethnic groups.
4. We are now receiving ISIS fighters pretending to be refugees whilst 300 Swedish Muslims are estimated to have joined ISIS.
6. Many 3rd generation immigrants (=Swedes) will be born and bred in one of Swedens 55 “no-go zones”. These zones are crime-ridden and the police admit they have lost control there, or as they so eloquently put it:
7. What if “ethnic-Swedes”* are becoming a minority? With the current SCB methods, we will never know, will we?
*Ethnic-Swede is a hard word to define. For the sake of argument lets say great-grandparents, grandparents and parents born in Sweden. Which mind you doesn’t include me so don’t go pulling the race-card. It would be much more crude and extreme, in my opinion, to claim that they don’t exist. Regardless of wether you think they do or not I strongly believe that everyone has a right to know the exact demographics of Sweden with regards to ethnicity.
If SCB considers labelling problematic they could just ask people what ethnicity they consider themselves to be in a census hence avoiding potential public outrage.
So… will Swedes become a minority in their own country?
The question of as to wether or not Swedes will become a minority in their own country has several answers and it simply depends on your definition of a Swede. People of different ethnicities who identify as Swedes will always be around but the culture will change and they won’t look stereotypically Swedish. Due to globalisation and the extreme levels of immigration this will happen faster than what is normal in the rest of Europe.
For ethnic Swedes it is only a matter of time due to birth rates which are below population replacement levels. With the current levels of immigration and the higher birth rates among other ethnicities it will happen faster. There is no way to be sure but seeing as Sweden is a small country with less than 10 million citizens my guess would be in around 25 years i.e. 2040.